Okra is ane of my favorite summertime vegetables. I didn't grow upward eating it - growing upward inward Vermont, I intend my entirely exposure to okra was the ane or 2 footling pieces you lot discovery inward approximately canned vegetable soups. But I recall I'd ever last excited when I establish those ane or 2 footling pieces inward my soup bowl! I guess I loved okra earlier I fifty-fifty actually knew what it was.
One of my favorite ways to consume okra is pickled. During winter, I purchase it jarred. But inward summer, when I'm fortunate plenty to last able to larn an ample render from my mother-in-law's garden or our local farm stand, I brand my own. It's super simple!
Before nosotros larn to the recipe, allow me present a few pictures from my mother-in-law's garden. She has a gorgeous garden! And she grows lots of things I love. Like okra. Here's ane of her okra plants.
And here's a babe okra pod growing away on the stem. I didn't realize that this is how the pods grow until I was introduced to my mother-in-law's garden. Not certain how I thought it grew, exactly never idea of it looking similar this!
You'll every bit good need fresh dill for this recipe. I totally didn't need to include this pic of a dill caput ... exactly I intend the pic is beautiful as well as wanted to share.
|Beautiful dill head|
Now dorsum to the pickled okra.
Combine white vinegar, water, as well as a whole bunch of spices inward a saucepan. Bring it to a boil ...
... as well as add together inward fresh dill heads, approximately jalapenos, as well as your okra pods.
|Okra dives inward for a swim!|
Let it all cool downwards to room temperature, as well as and thus refrigerate it for a few hours. Pickling magic volition happen, as well as you'll accept delicious as well as spicy pickled okra! Yum.
|Pickled okra goodness|
- 2 1/2 c. white vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 3 T. granulated saccharide
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. dill seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 fresh dill heads
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 lbs. small okra pods
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, as well as all spices EXCEPT fresh dill heads inward a large saucepan; convey to a boil. Boil for nearly ane minute, or until saccharide as well as tabular array salt dissolve, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir inward fresh dill heads, jalapenos, as well as okra pods. Cool completely amongst the pot sitting out at room temperature.
- Once cooled, pour mixture into an airtight container; comprehend as well as chill. Okra tin function on inward the fridge for upward to nearly 2 weeks.
Affiliate links are included inward this post. I have a modest amount of compensation for anything purchased from these links, at no additional terms to you. Thank you lot for supporting when you lot store at Amazon.com.