I establish the near gorgeous satsumas at the store this weekend together with HAD to do something amongst them. I haven’t posted any holiday desserts nevertheless, then I figured this was the perfect time to brand a sweet process for your vacation table. If you’ve never had a satsuma, they are similar to a tangerine, exclusively a piffling more stiff. I looovee them. Taking advantage of winter citrus is e'er a swell manner to brighten upward flavors inwards your cooking inwards the chiller months. Especially in the midst of eating allllll the cheese, staff of life, together with rich dishes during the holidays. This is a perfect dessert for the people who don’t honey chocolate. In my instance, I’1000 the person who volition accept a slice of the chocolate dessert AND the not-chocolate dessert thankyouverymuch. But hi, it’s the holidays!
Can’t become over their beauty. If yous tin can’t observe satsumas, or they aren’t in flavor for yous, regular bellybutton oranges, blood oranges, or tangerines will go!
I wanna set this stuff on everything. Such a cracking option to whipped cream. You could totally purpose whipped cream though, I won’t judge.
Satsuma Orange Spiced Polenta Upside Down Cake with Honeyed Maple Yogurt
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time i 60 minutes 15 minutes
Servings half-dozen -8
For the cake:
granulated carbohydrate, divided, addition i/two cup granulated saccharide
night brown carbohydrate, loosely packed
ane stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
satsuma oranges, real thinly sliced
+ three T. all purpose flour
polenta or coarse earth yellow cornmeal
big eggs, separated
For the yogurt:
patently Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- Position rack in center of oven in addition to preheat to 350°F. Combine six tablespoons saccharide in addition to three tablespoons water inward 10-inch diameter ovenproof skillet (I used shape atomic number 26). Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase estrus in addition to boil without stirring until syrup is aureate amber (not dark amber) most iv-vi minutes. Remove skillet from heat and whisk two tablespoons butter into caramel. Set aside.
- Arrange orangish slices, overlapping slightly, in concentric circles atop caramel inwards bottom of skillet. Whisk flour, polenta, baking pulverisation, table salt, cinnamon, allspice, as well as clove inward a medium bowl until combined. In an electrical mixer, trounce the egg whites alongside the whisk attachment until soft peaks class, and so add together i tablespoon of the saccharide too shell until stiff, nearly a infinitesimal. Put whipped egg whites into a bowl as well as ready aside. Wipe out mixing bowl amongst a newspaper towel too pose the paddle attachment on the mixer.
- Beat remaining 1/two c. granulated sugar too dark chocolate-brown saccharide, the remaining half dozen tablespoons room-temperature butter, in addition to vanilla until light in addition to fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a fourth dimension, beating well later on each addition. Add flour mixture gradually with milk inward two additions, beating batter but until incorporated.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into batter to lighten, and so flexure in remaining egg whites inward two additions. Drop batter by large spoonfuls atop orange slices inward skillet, so spread the batter out gently until fifty-fifty.
- Bake cake until top is fix in addition to aureate, too tester inserted into centre comes out make clean, most forty-45 minutes. Depending on your oven, I am guessing this tin can accept anywhere from 35-45 minutes. Mine was really gilded at 40 minutes.
- Cool cake inwards skillet ten minutes. Run abrupt knife around cake to loosen. Place platter on tiptop of the skillet. Very gently using oven mitts, hold platter and skillet firmly together as well as invert, allowing cake to settle onto platter. You may take to rearrange whatsoever orange slices that may have get dislodged. Cool cake completely at room temperature.
- While cake is baking, brand the yogurt. Stir together the yogurt, dear, maple syrup, cinnamon, together with nutmeg until smooth. Spoon over cake slices when ready to serve. Enjoy!
The cake should continue for a twain days at room temperature, in addition to for a few more than days inwards the refrigerator. It is best eaten on the same day, yet. The yogurt will proceed for several days in the fridge.
This cake was loosely adapted from this recipe.